Summer is well and truly over! So this month we are taking a leaf from one of our favourite blogger’s book and following Fashion Mumblr’s Golden Rules for Maintaining your Summer Tan!
So you’re back from your Summer holiday and you worked so hard to get that golden tan, but just because the sun has its hat on in the UK, you can still ensure that your flawless tan lasts for the rest of the Summer!
1. Take Cool Showers. Hot water can dehydrate your skin, so you will be more prone to peeling. By sticking to cool or lukewarm showers your colour will be locked in.
2. Moisturise some more. There’s no better way to keep your sexy summer glow than by absolutely covering yourself in lotions. Post-holiday you should upgrade to a sumptuous body butter and make sure you apply lotion ever single day. Just don’t use the moisturiser on the day that you apply your self tanning products, as tan works much better on clean skin.
3. Exfoliate. It feels like the absolute last thing you want to do when you’ve got a tan, but it’s important to give yourself a full body exfoliation at least once a week to remove the parched skin, and get your skin ready for the upcoming self tan. Make sure you choose a scrub which isn’t oil based, as this may prevent your tan from sticking! To be on the safe side, I like to use a body brush.
4. Long Lasting Tan. The secret to extending your tan is to create a simple ritual that’s easy to maintain, so a long lasting tan is what you need. Something that’s easy to apply, and easy to maintain – so for me there’s no competition, it’s got to be the Vita Liberata phenomenal 2-3 week tan. As you’ll already be bronzed you may need the ‘Dark’ tan (which is what I used in the images) and you can be confident that the tan will fade evenly so no tell tale patches! The pHenomal tan formula moisturises the skin and conditions with marine and botanical extracts, and the bronzed glow will last up to 4 times longer than other tanning products.
Apply using a tan mitt for a truly flawless finish!
5. Facial Self Tan. Your face is the first thing that people notice about you, and a sun kissed complexion will give you that fresh from the beach glow. In my experience, gradual tans for the face can be too subtle when you’ve already got a base tan from your holiday, so I use my regular self tan on a mitt to give my holiday glow a boost. Because the Vita Liberata pHenomenal tan has no smell and is so incredibly fast drying, it’s subtle and you can apply makeup just a few moments after application.
6. Bronzer. Using a matte bronzer will help you to recreate the fresh from the beach glow, and the trick is to swirl it onto areas where the sun would naturally hit your skin. I apply the Vita Liberata Trystal Self Tanning Bronzer (yep, you read that correctly!) to my forehead, temples, nose and cheekbones rather than all over, and over the period of a few days, those areas will build up to have a gorgeous natural looking tan, even when you’re not wearing any product.
7. Eat your Beta’s! Scientists have found that a diet rich in beta-carotenes can recreate the glow of sun-kissed skin from within! How fantastic is that! The best sources include carrots (of course!), sweet potatoes, apricots and mangoes.
8. Hydrate! Just because you’re no longer cooking on the beach, it doesn’t mean you can slack off drinking lots of water! By keeping hydrated, you can help to prolong the life of your cells, including the lovely tanned cells on the surface of your skin, so a real or fake tan will last longer and look it’s best.